Wednesday, November 19, 2008

On my first 30 years

Things I've learned.

1-Talk is cheap. But its okay, if the person talking is attractive.

2-When the going gets tough the tough get going. Or they stick around. The thing is, the tough do what they want, which is why I started to learn how to cage-fight. Which leads me to my next point.

3-Fighting does solve some problems. Learn how to reason, learn how to punch.

4-Looks are only good for 30 years on a man and 20 years on a woman. 

5-I have no idea how the internet works, but its awesome.

6-What goes around comes around. Thanks to the Vietnam Vet, the fence workers, the insurance agent, the mexicans, the other mexican, and the german tourists for giving me rides when I hitchhiked this summer.

7-Women are simple creatures. Just check your ego at the door.

8-Check your ego at the door.

9-Check your massive ego at the door.

10-Life is too short to learn how to play HALO.

11-Life is not too short to spend time on Facebook.

12-Never say never. Unless you really should forget about it.

13-Going uphill is harder than going downhill. Downhill usually signifies a state of progressively worsening conditions. I still don't know how to use the phrase, "Its all downhill from here" properly.

14-I try to provide entertainment for the friends I have who are smarter than me.

15-Traditional education, as it stands and is packaged, is a farce.

16-Pink Floyd has 90% of it right.

17-No task is below you. Unless its literally on the ground.

18-Its 'manila' folders, not 'vanilla' folders.

19-Salad is the best medicine. 

20-God, indeed, does care

21-Obama, indeed, does not

22-The FED is a private corporation, unaudited and largely unregulated by the US government.

23-The only stillness left in the world is outdoors in remote, wild places. However, I'm not sure how much fun Henry Thoreau would have been to hang out with.

24-Money really doesn't matter. Except when you need it.

25-Life goes better when you do what you know you should do. I don't think I'll ever make the bed though.

26-Relationships and agency. Thats all we really have. But Ipods really are cool while we got 'em.

27-My mom knows best.

28-My father is easier to get a 'yes' from.

29-Beautiful women are like dollar bills. They used to have value.

30-You don't have to be able to squat 400 pounds. 

31-If it doesn't kill you, it can only make you stronger. My motto. And justification for some really stupid crap.

32-'Large' t-shirts don't go down far enough, so, when they're new, you have to stretch them in between the washer and dryer. Stretch them every time you wash them. You'll have your perfect t-shirt.

33-Sizzler's medium-rare steak is the best inexpensive steak out there.

34-Costa Azul's Barbecue Pork Quesadilla is the only food that has ever made me say a dirty word because it was so delicious.

35-Whoever said "Its better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all" was mentally handicapped.

36-Love does not conquer all.

37-Only when you lose everything are you free to do anything.

38-Charity is one of the best ways to hurt someone. And help. But a sword it is. With two-edges.

39-HMS will accomplish big things.

40-East of Eden is one of the best books ever written.

41-Don't take things too seriously. Unless it needs to be taken seriously.

42-Despite all the evidence that justifies you, there's a good chance you're wrong.

43-It is always your fault.

44-Based on results, you have exactly what you intended. Which is weird to think about when I think of when I tripped on the last hurdle in a race in front of the whole freshman class.

There's more, but that'll do for now.




2 comments:

michelle said...

number 35 was my favorite!

Amy F. said...

My husband and I were reminiscing about our teenage years the other day and you came up. I stumbled on your blog from your facebook page. I have a lot of great memories with you in them. From getting teased about the handholding pic in the ward scrapbook, to the fire in the tent in your field, to playing catch and hockey. There were some good times. Your parents were good to me and your mom always had bread in the breadmaker when I did homeschool at your house. I had mom-envy. :) I wish you the best in life. And a woman, if they can be found in Alaska. :) I'm doing the typical LDS thing, 6 kids now! It would be fun to have a Key Center reunion of sorts sometime. I'm rambling now. Goodight!